The Yacht Valve Specialist will perform maintenance, assessment, repair and testing on various types of valves. This individual will be responsible for performing disassembly, cleaning, inspection measuring, reassembly and testing of various valves including, but not limited to, ball valves, gate valves, butterfly valves, safety relief valves, etc. The Valve Specialist will routinely complete all tasks by following schematics and documented procedures in accordance with relevant class requirements (ABS, Lloyds, DNV, etc.) and any other quality control standards that apply to the job. The technician will be performing a variety of other yacht systems repairs when not performing specialized valve work. The position reports directly to the mechanical and machine shop supervisor.
- The technician must be able to perform removal, disassembly, cleaning, inspection, measuring, reassembly and installation to manufacturer’s tolerances; as well as, test valves to include hydro testing.
- Must be adept at working with all types of power and hand tools normally associated with removal and replacement of valves and related pipework components.
- Experienced servicing & repairing various valves and actuators (pneumatic, hydraulic, electric) required.
- Capable of renewal and/or replacement of hoses, pipe work and associated fittings, bellows, couplings, adapters, etc.
- Make flange gaskets using rubber and/or other suitable materials for the intended fluid.
- Assemble, fit and install gasketing, then leak check all work as installed in the field.
- Identify and order specialty tools and knowledgeable in the proper set up of a work area for clean, efficient and safe valve repair processes.
- Able to identify critical valve repair kits and develop materials order as required to complete the task.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
- Must be organized, attentive and able to complete all calibration and documentation associated with testing and repairs, including the ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must adhere to all classification society standards and IPQA processes & requirements pertaining to servicing valves and other vessel systems.
- Ability to operate stationary power equipment, pneumatic & electric power tools and common hand tools to disassemble, assemble, torque, cut, pry, separate and break free yacht components and ancillary equipment to standards.
- Commonly meets the schedule and budget for projects, inclusive of working overtime when necessary.
- Understands yacht and ship terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, bow/stern, etc. and can easily convey information in a common vernacular understood by other industry professionals.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- Advanced marine repair coursework and ABYC certifications highly desirable.
- 36 months or more marine mechanical experience ideally within a yacht focused repair / refit facility.
- Experience with routine maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of valves.
- Other than specialized tools and equipment furnished by the employer, technicians shall have a complete range of commonly found tools needed to complete assigned tasks in both standard & metric formats.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situational variables where only limited standardization exists.
- Must have an excellent work ethic and attitude.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a safe, clean work area.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in confined spaces, climb, lift and move lumber, tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 50 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Starting pay up to $30 depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days.
401K and Profit sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard workweek is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off / Vacation Days
- Relocation Assistance for highly qualified candidates
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365