The Yacht Rigger is an experienced and self-motivated individual who is looking for a challenging and diverse work environment. The position requires relocation to Savannah, Georgia and is a Monday thru Friday - 5 x 8 work week. Riggers will possess and continue to develop a broad range of technical skills including: splicing; sail tuning and rigging for crane lifts. Riggers may already be certified in crane operation or may eventually acquire certification in crane operation. They possess and develop a thorough knowledge of working loads for lines, cables and blocks; as well as the mechanical maintenance and refurbishment of common sailing equipment such as winches, furlers, masts, headsail furlers, winches and windlasses. This broad set of skills allow the yacht rigger to take the lead on shipyard projects involving sailboat rigging, anchoring, davits and removing / reinstalling hardware for mast and deck paint jobs. The Rig Shop is a great place to develop and hone a wide variety of marine skills under the guidance of senior riggers with decades of experience.
- Align, level and anchor machinery.
- Attach loads to rigging to provide support to prepare them for moving using hand and power tools.
- Attach pulleys and blocks to fixed overhead structures such as beams, ceilings and booms using bolts and clamps.
- Fabricate, set up and repair rigging, supporting structures, hoists and pulling gear using hand and power tools.
- Unstep and step masts.
- Assemble and disassemble spars.
- Tune standing rigging.
- Connect and troubleshoot mast lights and wiring.
- Install booms, sails, running rigging.
- Prepare sailboats to safely sail.
- Splice lines, service winches and furling systems – both manual and electrical/hydraulic.
- Service sailboat steering systems and deck hardware.
- Inspect and estimate repairs.
- Must possess your own tools.
- Availability to work overtime in order to meet company deadlines.
- Safely work in a shop environment and follow all company safety guidelines.
- Read and understand service materials.
- Clean and maintain the workshop and work areas.
- Collaborate with other departments on estimate preparation / bids.
- Assist other departments, perform other yard duties as assigned by the department manager.
- Ability to work with hands and experience with hand tools required.
- Sailing experience preferred.
- Previous sailboat rigging experience is preferred.
- Hoisting/Crane Operator experience preferred.
- ABYC and/or manufacturer certifications are a plus.
- Ability and willingness to go aloft is highly desirable.
- Ability to ascend and descend a ladder.
- Familiarity with boats and nomenclature.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Course work from accredited trade school, college or university.
- Completion of apprenticeship is a definite plus.
- Computer skills and ability to read, write and perform basic math calculations.
- Must have a strong work ethic, self-motivated and possess a positive attitude.
- Can work well without supervision and function effectively as part of a team.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills with English as primary language.
- Good physical strength and stamina.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship at all times.
- An excellent attitude toward safety and demonstrated commitment to a safe work environment.
- Ability to meet schedule and budget for projects, inclusive of working overtime when necessary.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in a variety of weather conditions, climb, lift and move canvas, cushions, tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up and climb with loads up to 50 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Wear proper personal protective equipment (may include safety glasses, gloves, life jackets and/or hard hats) as required for the task or work area.
- Report all accidents, injuries, spills and near misses immediately.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and has the capacity for a fast pace.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Industry leading compensation. Compensation is largely dependent upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days. 401K and Profit sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard work week is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays / Vacation Days
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365