The Marine Mechanical Technician will service, repair and/or replace vessel machinery such as drivelines (including bearings and seals), main propulsion equipment, hydraulic and electric thrusters, generator plants and all other auxiliary systems. The Marine Mechanical Technician will also provide planning input regarding the execution of all major machinery and equipment lifts; as well as, movements of these components in a safe manner. Candidates will routinely complete all tasks to the highest levels of workmanship and ensure all tasks are performed in accordance with ABYC standard or relevant class requirements, if any.
- Must be skilled at engine, gearbox and shaft line component removal, repair and reinstallation inclusive of rigging machinery and equipment in and out of vessels.
- Adept at working on all types of propulsion system components including cutlass bearings and shaft seals.
- Must be skilled at rudder and rudder bushing & bearing removal and installation.
- Must be skilled at bow & stern thruster prop removal and reinstallation procedures.
- Knowledge of stabilizer fin and shaft removal and reinstallation is highly desirable.
- Must be able to service and repair auxiliary equipment including pumps.
- Knowledge of steering equipment, winch and windlass is desirable.
- Must be confident in completing precision engine to shaft alignments.
- Knowledgeable and skilled in the repair and/or replacements of bilge pumps and associated piping systems.
- Capable of renewal and/or replacement of hoses, pipe work and associated fittings, couplings, adapters.
- Knowledge of potable water systems and repair & replacement of components therein.
- Must be able to work anode replacements, grates, scoops, guards, rope cutters - remove & reinstall.
- Must adhere to all ABYC and IPQA process & requirements pertaining to servicing vessel systems.
- Ability to operate stationary power equipment, pneumatic & electric power tools and common hand tools to disassemble, assemble, torque, cut, pry, separate and break yacht components and ancillary equipment to standards.
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide repair recommendations for a broad range of mechanical, hydraulic and electrical faults associated with the varied system components found on yachts and commercial vessels.
- Commonly meets schedule and budget for projects, inclusive of working overtime when necessary.
- Understands yacht and ship terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, bow/stern, etc. and can easily convey information in a common vernacular understood by other industry professionals.
- Ability to read blueprints, drawings, installation manuals and technical data to conform and comply with manufacturer recommended installation instructions.
- Ability to apply caulking compounds, epoxies, cements, screws and fasteners using appropriate material choices to specified or otherwise correct lengths.
- Ability to operate equipment such as forklifts, telehandlers, scissor and man lifts.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a safe, clean work area.
- Perform other related duties as may periodically be requested.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- Advanced marine repair coursework and ABYC certifications highly desirable.
- Basic computer skills and ability to read, write and perform basic math calculations.
- Sixty (60) months marine mechanical experience ideally within a yacht focused repair / refit facility.
- Other than specialized tools and equipment furnished by the employer, technicians shall have a complete range of commonly found tools needed to complete assigned tasks in both standard and metric formats up to 1 inch / 26 mm.
- Must have an excellent work ethic and attitude.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in confined spaces, climb, lift and move lumber, tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 50 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Starting pay up to $30 depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days.
401K and Profit sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard workweek is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off / Vacation Days
- Relocation Assistance for highly qualified candidates
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365