Marine Mechanical Assistant will repair, replace and install equipment and ancillary components using detailed instructions and under the supervision of a lead mechanical technician. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to listen and comprehend basic and semi-technical instruction, then perform each assigned task in an efficient and satisfactory manner. The qualifications listed hereafter are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability desired.
- Must demonstrate basic to intermediate mechanical ability with prior marine or automotive mechanical experience considered highly desirable.
- Must understand basic hand and power tool nomenclature; in conjunction with, demonstrating proper application and safe use of these tools.
- Ability to operate or a willingness to learn the use of stationary power tools, general power tools and hand tools to cut, remove, assemble and finish materials to yacht quality standards.
- Aptitude in using various hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches) and precision measurement tools (e.g. calipers).
- Candidates with prior yacht mechanical experience are preferred, but will train otherwise qualified and motivated individuals.
- ABYC Certifications or formal marine repair training, or the intent / desire to obtain such training.
- Currently understands or otherwise is willing to learn yachting terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, bow/stern and the proper terms for commonly handled yacht system components and equipment.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- Basic computer skills and ability to read, write and perform basic math calculations.
- Must have a basic set of tools required to perform routine mechanical tasks.
- Must have a good work ethic and attitude.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a safe, clean work area.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in confined spaces, climb, lift and move tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 50 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
- Perform other related duties as may periodically be requested.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Starting pay up to $24 depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days.
401K and Profit sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard work week is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off / Vacation Days
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365