The Marine Welder / Fabricator must be able to perform lay-out, fabrication, fit and welding of components for our customers vessels at all stages of refit and repair. Marine welding and fabrication work will be completed within the metal shop, onboard dry docked vessels, onboard dockside vessels in-service and periodically on internal facility projects. The welder / fabricator will need to be able to safely weld metals in various directions: flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead using Tig, Mig and Mma. This includes tacking and fitting of plate, rails, bulkheads, foundations, grinding and cutting. All welding and fabrication undertakings will require the applicant to complete tasks with high levels of precision, installation styling and to classification standards. At times, the applicant may be performing other types of yacht systems repairs when not performing specialized welding and fabrication work. The position reports directly to the metal & pipefitting shop supervisor.
- Must be able to prepare materials for fabrication: layout, saw, punch, cope, drill, etc., then assemble metal components by cutting, burning (oxy-acetylene and plasma) and welding various metals by utilizing FCAW, GMAW, and GTAW.
- Ability to sand, clean, grind and polish components.
- Ability to build jigs and the tooling necessary to complete the assigned task.
- Ability to cut, bend, assemble and fit together metal parts - welding steel, aluminum and stainless steel materials to specifications and tolerance.
- Ability to operate grinder, drill, sander, glass bead machine, TIG, MIG, and electrode welding machines, burn and heat torches, hand and band saws.
- Ability and experience working with ceramic backing tape.
- Can construct base template, measure and mark-out cutting and bending lines.
- Can set up metalwork machinery including cold saw, drill press, band saw brakes, tape measure, calipers, etc.
- Routinely checks design specifications before commencing with cutting work.
- Routinely performs quality and standard checks upon completion of work.
- Must have full complement of hand tools including slag hammer, punch, rule, square, assorted wrenches, gloves, and welding hood.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of documents furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
- Commonly meets schedule and budget for projects, inclusive of working overtime when necessary.
- Understands yacht and ship terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, bow/stern, etc. and can easily convey information in a common vernacular understood by other industry professionals.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- Advanced marine repair coursework and/or AWS certification preferred.
- 24 months or more months of marine welding and fabrication experience - ideally within a yacht or ship repair facility, or equivalent welding / fabrication experience required, but all applicants will be considered.
- A welding test to assess skill level will be performed as part of the applicants interview process.
- Other than specialized tools and equipment furnished by the employer, technicians shall have a complete range of commonly found tools needed to complete assigned tasks in both standard and metric formats up to 1 inch / 26 mm.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Must have an excellent work ethic and attitude.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship.
- Excellent hand-eye coordination and physical condition.
- Ability to lift and manipulate large metal pieces.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a safe, clean work area.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in confined spaces, climb, lift and move lumber, tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 50 lbs and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and background check.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Starting pay up to $30 per hour
depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days. 401K and Profit sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard workweek is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off / Vacation Days
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365