- candidate must be able to pattern, foam build, assemble and install all aspects of upholstery products inside and outside of yachts. Must have 3 to 5 years’ experience in marine upholstery work and be able to furnish samples of work, or otherwise demonstrate skills during pre-employment interview(s).
- candidate must be able to cut and sew fabrics for upholstery products working in conjunction with an Upholstery Technician. Must have 3 to 5 years’ experience in marine or industrial sewing and be able to furnish samples of work, or otherwise demonstrate skills during pre-employment interview(s).
Candidates must be able to perform under minimal supervision after being furnished with task details, or expected to proceed with work having only verbal instructions on how to complete the assigned task. An experienced technician should be capable of proceeding with work assignments given an absence of drawings or sketches that may not always be available. Ideally, the candidate would be able to interpret upholstery and canvas work assignments as detailed by the departmental supervisor, then plan and execute projects to include developing a bill of materials to complete said project when requested to do so. The successful upholstery and canvas technician will be skilled in the operation of all hand tools; as well as, set-up and operation of specialized trade equipment to achieve a desired end result commensurate with the finest yacht marine canvas and soft goods construction.
- Transfer dimensions to marine canvas, fabrics, leathers and other materials using tape measure, square and marking/layout tools & devices of all types.
- Operate sewing machines, power tools, battery operated tools, air driven tools and tools to cut, form and finish materials to yacht quality standards.
- Make accurate measurements & cuts of all types of marine canvas materials using shears, razor & hot knives, and chop saws and other related power tools as required to complete the assigned task.
- Possesses good working knowledge of sewing, cutting, design, pattern development and modification.
- Understands yachting terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, bow/stern, transom, winch, davit, stanchion, brow, settee, cap rail, toe rail, flybridge and other commonly used words.
- Capable of reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings, and conceptual hand sketches if required.
- Ability to install fasteners, grommets, snaps, Velcro in or on substrates such as fiberglass, composite or marine hardwoods using appropriate material choices to a specified length or other measurement to anchor completed work.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a safe, clean work area.
- Perform other related duties as may periodically be requested.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) and English speaking is required.
- Basic computer skills and ability to read, write and perform basic math calculations.
- Knowledge, operation, and set-up of tape measure, square and layout tools, inclusive of knowledge of how to use a comprehensive range of tools commonly found in a marine canvas or industrial sewing facility.
- Minimum thirty-six (36) months, ideally sixty (60) months or more of marine canvas and/or upholstery experience with an ability to demonstrate quality of workmanship by furnishing examples of work.
- Must have a good work ethic and attitude.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship at all times.
- Ability to meet schedule and budget for projects, inclusive of working overtime when necessary.
- Must have a complete understanding of marine grade types of hardwoods and plywoods for each application; as well as, types of glue to use under assembly for the intended application.
- Must be capable of performing many interconnected tasks such as outfitting of hardware to both vessel interior and exterior.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in a variety of weather conditions, climb, lift and move canvas, cushions, tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 50 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Starting pay $21 to $28 per hour
depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days. 401K and Profit sharing, after 12 months of employment. Standard work week is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays / Vacation Days
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365