The Haul Out / Yard Hand position is an excellent opportunity for someone who is looking to gain exposure or build upon prior experience hauling and launching vessels in a busy boatyard. This role is ideal for the individual looking for daily diversity and situational challenges. Tasks performed will be physically strenuous at times. The candidate will work with the Dockmaster, Engineering and Operations Management personnel to configure slings for mobile boat hauling equipment, or assist with construction of blocking arrangements pursuant to vessel specific drawings for our Syncrolift operations. As a team member, additional duties include pressure washing boats, supporting vessels using blocks and stands, operating forklifts, unloading and loading trucks, tenders or moving equipment within the yard. Responsibilities will vary daily according to operational needs and includes yard clean up, facility repairs and physical assistance to other departments.
- Reliable and punctual attendance with the primary objective being to provide assistance in carrying out all assigned tasks required to successfully achieve the yards’ daily objectives.
- Assist with haul, block and launch vessels utilizing mobile boat hauling equipment.
- Assist with boat unloading, loading and moving boats in the yard whenever requested.
- Assist Dockmaster, Engineering and Yard Foreman in the placement of slings for mobile boat hauling equipment and in the construction of keel & side blocking arrangements for Syncrolift operations.
- Ability or willingness to apply oneself to learning to read, understand and utilize docking plans.
- Clean and prepare dry dock positions after vessel launches to allow a smooth transition between incoming vessels, always maintaining a clean, orderly and visually appealing environment.
- Clean, maintain, paint and make improvements to the facility when directed.
- Provide accurate records of daily duties and the work performed for each project assignment.
- Follow environmental protocol for washing vessels while ensuring maintenance of wash pad area and associated equipment.
- Must be willing to contribute to other departments in various capacities to aid companywide goals.
- Address any customer inquiries and then assist them in connecting with appropriate TMI contacts.
- Adhere to company standards for safety and environmental compliance in the areas of material handling, protective equipment, working at height and all other areas.
- Eagerly puts forth the extra effort to accomplish duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Follow SHM Safety and Environmental rules and complete required related training.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- 12 months or more experience ideally within a yacht or ship repair facility (may be willing to train).
- Must be able to operate machinery efficiently, effectively and demonstrate safe handling of vessels (may be willing to train).
- Previous large forklift or heavy equipment experience is highly desired.
- Maintain a satisfactory attendance record, including the willingness and ability to periodically work overtime.
- Must have an excellent work ethic and positive attitude.
- Must be a self-starter and able to perform duties without continuous supervision.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions, including the ability to withstand hot and cold temperatures for prolonged periods.
- Follows prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a clean shipyard.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 75 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and background check.
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Follows policies, accepts external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop, use hands and fingers, handle tools or controls, and talk.
Starting pay up to $22/hr. depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days.
401K and Profit sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard work week is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off / Vacation Days
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365