The Marine Bottom Painter is a key position in the yard and applicants will be responsible for applying a variety of marine coatings across a range of vessel types by employing specialized equipment, including spray equipment or by hand application. The applicant will be responsible for prepping (cleaning, stripping, scraping, sanding) and applying marine antifoulant coatings to vessels below the waterline. Additionally, bottom painters may be responsible for pressure washing vessels, assisting with Travel Lift operations, boat blocking and lifting of materials. The candidate is required to adhere to safety guidelines, applicable laws, and EPA and OSHA regulations. The position reports directly to the Marine Coatings Supervisor.
- Prepare all boat bottoms as instructed by the Supervisor/foreman to include tenting, scraping, sanding, grinding and cleaning prior to the application of coatings.
- Apply multiple coats of epoxy primer, anti-fouling paints pursuant to manufacturer’s instructions and following prescribed overcoating windows.
- Willingness to learn how to identify paint types and understand their appropriate applications.
- Must understand the proper and required application of protective materials prior to work starting.
- Must have the ability to wear and use a respirator, and other PPE where necessary and required.
- Must understand basic requirements for proper disposal of hazardous materials (i.e. solvents, paint-related waste).
- Must understand how to properly store materials, contain particulate matter and have a complete understanding and respect for environmental regulations.
- Assist other team members with cleaning, hauling, rigging and launching vessels when requested.
- Assist with boat unloading, loading and moving boats in the yard when requested.
- Willingness to undergo additional company provided training to further coatings application skills.
- Prepping, sanding, bagging, and protecting areas to provide containment and prevent contamination.
- Proper storage and disposal of Hazardous Materials (i.e., solvents, paint & paint related waste).
- Responsible for ensuring completion of work to meet the schedule provided by the foreman.
- Provide accurate records of your daily duties and work performed for each vessel assignment.
- Assist with other shipyard and facility maintenance operations as requested.
- Maintain company equipment to optimal working order and report any deficiencies found.
- Commonly meets schedule and budget for projects, inclusive of working overtime when necessary.
- Understands yacht and ship terminology, local and industry, e.g., port/starboard, bow/stern, etc. and can easily convey information in a common vernacular understood by other industry professionals.
- High school or general equivalency degree (GED) required.
- 12 months or more experience ideally within a yacht or ship repair facility; however, willing to train.
- Must be able to wear a respirator and other proper protective gear as needed.
- Maintain a satisfactory attendance record, including periodic availability to work overtime.
- Must have an excellent work ethic and attitude.
- Must maintain a high standard of workmanship.
- Follow prescribed safety rules and OSHA regulations while maintaining a safe, clean work area.
- Must possess the ability to periodically board vessels in and out of the water, work steadily in confined spaces, climb, lift and move lumber, tools and supplies as necessary.
- Ability to stoop, crouch, pull, push, reach, hear, near vision, kneel, talk, stand, grasp, lift up to 50 lbs. and be able to walk quickly to and from job locations up to 500 yards in distance are required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis for any employers.
- Must be able to pass a drug test and background check
Interpersonal & Service Skills
- Teamwork - the ability to work as one across our organization for the benefit of our customers.
- Excellence - strives to be the best, continuously improving our customers’ experience and the solutions we provide.
- Sense of Urgency - responds quickly to customer needs and holds oneself accountable for results.
- Problem Sensitivity - the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Tendency to display endurance and capacity for a fast pace.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Follow policies, accept external controls and supervision while working within the rules.
- Possess a positive attitude regarding people and outcomes.
- Tendency to be friendly, cooperative, agreeable and conduct oneself as a team player.
- Ability to easily adapt to changes in organizational and departmental priorities.
- Knows limitations and when to ask for assistance.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time or without notice.
Applicants may be subject to environmental conditions such as cold, heat, exposure to noise, hazards, and confined spaces/close quarters. Applicants must be aware of the work environment at all times.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift, stand, walk, kneel, crouch, stoop.
Starting pay up to $22/hr.
depending upon candidate experience. Benefits after 30 days. 401K and Profit Sharing after 12 months of employment. Standard work week is 40 hours / week.
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays / Vacation Days
Monday to Friday
Overtime & Weekends as necessary
Full Time / Hourly
Thunderbolt Marine, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be provided equal consideration without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Download Job Description
Download Job Application
If you are interested in joining the TMI Team please submit an application and/or your resume to
Fax 912 629 1365